As soon as you put "life coach" into your Facebook profile... you'll be bombarded by ads telling you what you HAVE to do to have a successful business. I invite you to take a breath, center, and tap into your center of knowledge and power - because not EVERYTHING is for EVERYONE. Here are some of the most common myths you're going to be sold:
(Click on the image above to share on Facebook/Twitter/Pinterest)
• Myth 1 "IF you come to my FREE webinar/download my ebook/etc, you'll be able to CATAPULT your business to 6 figures overnight!" Please stop clicking on everything. NO ONE'S (including mine) "Free thing" is going to be the ONE solution to building your business. They might all help you put one PIECE into place, or lear ONE VALUABLE SKILL, but none are the be-all and end-all. That's why I'm CLEAR on what my free workshops are teaching.
• Myth 2 "I can leave my job in a year". Listen, I want this to be true for all of us, but please check with your financial planners! Do you have a legit backup plan in place? I'm not saying it can't be done - I'm saying, don't COUNT on it. Instead, take clear and powerful actions to start building your reputation and client base.
• Myth 3 "I have to start with 1:1, high-end coaching". You don't HAVE to do anything. You CAN have success doing whatever feels GREAT for you! Some people are awesome in-person networkers and can easily book high-end 1:1 clients. Others are really awesome group facilitators and will best leverage their time by serving multiple people at once. Still others will package their coaching skills into a rockin' passive online course that really makes an impact for people. You start where your strengths and passions are, and really, really rock it.
• Myth 4 "I need to have multiple streams of revenue to have a successful business". This one is a "True and False". Over time, as your business evolves, it's awesome to expand both service-wise and financially as your clients show you what they need. But I find this belief to be paralyzing to new coaches who feel they need to have a freebie and a passive revenue stream and an online course and high end 1:1 clients and 3 evergreen courses and.... Again, start with ONE and rock it. I'm partial to starting with group coaching because of the opportunity to serve multiple clients in a leveraged hour per week, which often then yields 1:1 clients. 2 birds, one proverbial stone.
• Myth 5 "Coach training should have taught me to build a business". Guys, it IS important to learn the skills you need to build a business. These include copywriting, networking, lead generation, public speaking skills, etc. However, coach training is for teaching you to the skills you need to CHANGE LIVES. You then do need to invest in learning the business skills that are important to you to fill in the gaps.
It's not as hard to start building your client base as the internet and the Facebook ads might make it seem. Your best bet? Choose ONE income source to focus on for starters, and build your business out around that. Have all your actions intentionally pointing to ONE service for starters (and of course, be open to any other opportunities that arise along the way).
When you tap into the reason you became a life coach in the first place... the life and business you envisioned for yourself...
What comes up for you as a wonderful, fun, inspiring service to provide?
Check out my 12-Week Blossoming Business Program for working coaches! Let's make it do-able by streamlining instead of juggling. If Group Coaching seems like the perfect start for you, join me!
JJ Carolan, the Group Coaching Gal, Board Certified Behavior Analyst and Certified Professional Life Coach. Lots of letters to say.. I understand people.