Coaches often tell me they don't design and launch a group program because they get overwhelmed and paralyzed by how to actually put all their great ideas into a program.
Lots of coaches are really great "meta" thinkers - I call us "Creative Type As". We love big vision thinking and we love to categorize and organize... but when the rubber meets the road, it's hard to actually sit down and outline the content of a group coaching program.
I use these 5C's as the framework to create a new program, every time I create one for myself or for someone else through my Package Your Brilliance service. They should help you and your squirrel brain stay on track to creating a transformative program that serves!
(Click the image above to share this post on Facebook/Twitter/Pinterest)
1) Clarity: The first step to running a massively transformative (and irresistible) group coaching program is getting so incredibly specific and clear on what the people want. I can't say it enough: You cannot sell people "the life of their dreams". Most people are so far divorced from their dreams they don't even know what they are anymore. Be a coach, take their hand, and do your research - get so, so specific about what their dream day looks like from the minute that Jeeves brings them coffee in the morning until their head hits their satin lavender scented pillow. Do. Your. Research.
2) Content: Once you know exactly how people are suffering and what they want, the content creates itself! You now know that they want more time during the week with their kids, and that right now they're working 60-80 hours a week while caring for their aging parents. We might want to throw a Values Assessment at them, but this looks more like an AIM SMART plan solution! Content is simply the steps it takes to get from pain island to happyville, and any materials you need to support those steps.
3) Container: Once you know what kind of steps it's going to take to help your clients create transformation in your area of specialty, you can create the container. That's simply: How long? How will you meet? I recommend making it short enough to keep people's attention... but long enough to really be able to break down the steps into manageable pieces.
4) Community: How will you foster the most unique aspect of group coaching: Your community? Do you want them to have a FB group of their own? Pair up into pairs and trios to give additional support? How will you make them feel however it is you want them to feel in the world of your business? Get clear on how you want people to feel: Supported? Challenged? Nurtured? Terrified? And infuse that into your language and community aspects of your program through guidelines and emails.
5) Coaching: The most important element of your program, and the last one! Once you finally get your program going, you're going to want to make sure you've thought ahead about all the things that might disrupt the energy of the group, and have a plan for handling it. You're also going to want to decide if you coach via 2-3 longer "hot seat" sessions, or if everyone in the group gets a shorter and shallower time each call. You decide - you're the coach - but be sure to set and keep the boundary.
Working through the 5 "C"s will help you stay focused on creating a transformative group coaching program that serves (and sells!)
JJ Carolan, the Group Coaching Gal, Board Certified Behavior Analyst and Certified Professional Life Coach. Lots of letters to say.. I understand people.